You might have some programs on your computer that you no longer need to use and hence wish to remove or disable from the system. Maybe this program is interfering with some other programs in your computer, creating problems.
Let’s consider the case of the Windows antivirus program. If you have problems with this software, or if you wish to use some other antivirus program on your computer, or if it is taking up too much of your system resources, you might then want to remove or disable it. Though the exact steps for disabling the software differ with different operating systems, the basic concept is the same.
How to disable the antivirus software
- Open your installed antivirus program. You can find the program icon on your desktop or you may find the icon on the tray on the bottom of your screen. Double-click the icon to open it. Or else you can open the program by going to Start > All Programs > your antivirus program.
- Once the antivirus program is opened, look for a button or a checkbox on the main window, which says, “Enable/Disable”. If the antivirus program is active, it will be displayed as “Disable” which means you can click on it to disable or make it inactive. If it in inactive, it will show “Enable”, meaning you may click on it to make it active.
- If you are unable to disable the program by this method, you may click on the program’s help menu which will open a standard utility for Windows XP. When you click on the “Search” tab you will get a search box, where you need to type “disable”. Then click on the “List Topics” window.
- You will now get the instructions on how to disable the software. Just follow it and it will be disabled.
- How to delete or uninstall the antivirus software
- Click Start > Control Panel.
- Double-click on “Add or Remove Programs”. A list of installed applications will be displayed. Locate your antivirus program.
- Select the antivirus program by clicking on it. You can see a button labeled “Change/Remove”. Click on it, and it will ask you whether to change or remove. Click “Remove” to uninstall or remove it from your computer.
Now that you have successfully disabled or removed Windows antivirus program, you can take the next necessary action. Use this method whenever you’re convinced the Antivirus is hampering the smooth running of your PC.