Clean installation means starting the installation from scratch. Performing a clean installation of the Windows 8 OS means formatting of the hard drive before starting the installation of the operating system. You can use the Windows 8 Setup program to reformat the hard drive. To do this, you also need a previous version of the Windows operating system running on the computer. This means that you will not be able to install the Windows 8 on a bare drive by following these steps. The Windows 8 installation steps are explained below.
If you bought the Windows 8 OS as a DVD or created the DVD or flash drive when you downloaded the Windows 8 OS, you can follow the below steps to perform a clean installation.
- Turn on the computer so that the Windows operating system loads normally and put the Windows 8 DVD in the CD drive or plug in the USB flash drive to an open USB port. After that, turn off the computer.
- Restart the computer. If the current version of the Windows operating system loads again while you restart the computer, you may have to change the boot preferences of your computer. You can do this after checking the documentation that came with your computer or by visiting the manufacturer’s web site.
- To change the boot order, you will have to press a combination of keys immediately after restarting the computer. If the current version of the Windows OS still loads, try again after restarting the computer.
- When the Install Windows page appears, select your language and other preferences and then select the Next button to continue with the installation process.
- Accept the terms and licenses given in the Please read the license terms page and then click the Next button.
- Select the Custom installation option in the Which type of installation do you want page.
- Select the Drive options in Where do you want to install Windows page.
- Select the partition that you want to change, select the formatting option that you need to perform and then follow the instructions.
- When you are done with the formatting, click on the Next button.
- Follow the instructions provided on the screen to complete the installation of Windows 8 OS successfully.
These are the Windows 8 installation steps. You can follow these simple steps to perform a clean install of Windows 8 after formatting the hard drive.