It is a good practice to change passwords in your computer often. This will allow you to keep the data safe and inaccessible to unauthorized users. Resetting the password of a Windows computer can be tricky, especially when you have changed to another version of the Windows OS. Resetting the password is a quick process if you know what the steps to be done are. The steps to be done are different for different versions of the Windows operating system. The Windows support tips shared below can help you to change the log on password very easily. You can also refer to the Windows help modules in the official Microsoft web site to know more on how to change the Windows log on password.
Changing The Password In Windows XP
- Turn on the computer and click on the Start button, which is located on the bottom left hand corner of the screen. This will open the Start menu.
- From the Start menu, go to Control Panel and choose User Accounts from the Control Panel window.
- Select the account for which you would like to change the log on password.
- Click on the Change Password link. This will take you to a new window.
Type in your current password once and the desired password two times. Take care to type in the passwords in their respective boxes. After entering the passwords, click on the OK button. This will change your Windows log on password for the user that you have selected.
Changing The Password In Windows 7 or Vista
- Press the Ctrl, Alt and the Del keys simultaneously.
- Select the Change Password tab.
- This will open a new window with a single blank box for your current password and two blank boxes for your desired password. Fill them with the correct passwords and hit the Enter key or click on the arrow. This will make sure that your log on password is reset.
These are the simple steps to change the log on password in Windows XP and Windows Vista. If you are not okay with any of the steps explained above, you may contact the Windows support number to get further assistance. The tech support executive can take the remote access of your computer and perform the steps for you.